Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Forgiving and forgetting is not easy at all


I knew instinctively that the Aluu victims were innocent when I heard their story. I knew that in my heart without even knowing them personally. That is why I felt an excruciating pain in my heart when I heard the police declare they were set up. 

This is how I feel, how much more pain will their parents and relations feel?

Forgiveness is preached and advocated in the bible and we struggle everyday to practice it. But truth is, it is difficult to forgive and forget.

How do you tell parents and relatives of victims of Aluu murder to forgive and forget the horrible and humiliating death of their sons even though they were innocent?


Rape is the order of the day now in Nigeria with insane men running around raping minors. How do you tell that mother whose 5-year-old child was raped by a man of over 40 to forgive and forget?

Betrayal is not a new thing and some people have experienced it so often that it is no longer news to them. Tell me how you can tell a wife or husband to forgive and forget a cheating spouse who contracted and transmitted a deadly disease to them.

How do you tell someone to forgive and forget that back-stabbing friend who made life worse for him?
The Rwandan genocide saw mothers witness the gruesome death of their children. One mother had her three month old hacked from her back with an axe. She lived to see it all. How do you want her to forget that incident? Is it even possible to forget?

To forgive and forget is one of the hardest things to ask of someone who has been hurt bad; but it is also one of the most fulfilling acts. If it weren’t, I am not sure God will ask it of us in the Bible for he cannot ask us for something too hard for us to do.

The pain humans’ cause for one another is such that sometimes, you find yourself wishing vengeance shouldn’t be left for God.

If you have not witnessed any of the above example or much worse, you may not get the drift as much as someone who has.

Wickedness has consumed the world today and violence seems to be the order of the day. People do not hesitate before they maim or kill someone.

You know the hate that consumes me for that young man that claimed the Aluu victims were thieves? It aches my heart to think that this man knew these boys were being killed for a crime they didn’t commit and did nothing to stop it. He comfortably watched four innocent young men killed like animals.

That sort of hate consumes me when I read stories of evil sex maniacs in human form who open wide the legs of three to four year olds and stick their organ in to obtain pleasure. They do this without a care as to how mentally, physically and morally the act will affect the child for the rest of her life.

I pray to God everyday that I stop hearing of all these acts because it keeps making me feel like society is not getting any better.

Forgiving and forgetting is hard. Very hard. It is so hard that you can only get through it by the special grace of God.

That is the reason you have to call on him when it seems so hard; seeking the strength to pull through. He will not fail to answer, you know that!

No comments: